Sunday, February 10, 2008

The War on Terror on Dune

I was a bit worried about the book with the e-mail Professor Jackson sent over winter break suggesting us to read it first. I found the book a really good, and fast read. I had heard from my other friends that it would take some time, and when my Mom saw it she thought she had gotten the wrong edition.

The parallels to today's situation are large. It is a fairly prescient novel, with the rare mineral only found on Dune. Sounds like oil in the Middle-East to me. Along with the desert planet with the original denizens of the planet not being in control. There's also that jihad thing. The story would just be another social science novel if it didn't take place over numerous planets. Everything that has been dubbed part of the "War on Terror" is in Dune. However, instead of being on the side of the "good guys" in our minds, we follow Paul. Paul becomes the leader and prophet of the Fremen. Granted, he can see into the future, something I think everyone wishes they could do. However, looking at this book from the War on Terror side of things, the Emperor is the "good guy" and Paul is the "bad guy." As I read Dune I constantly asked myself who is the good guy and who is the bad guy. This novel leaves it up to the reader, even though the story is mostly told from the perspective of Paul.

I even question who is the real terrorists in the book. Yes the Fremen had their surprise attacks, but didn't the Empire do just as awful deeds? The Baron had an agent within the Atriedes Household and it would have killed them all if Doctor Yueh didn't have a soft spot for the Lady Jessica.

No comments: