Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dune

First, I thought that this was an amazing book, and I agree that it was really easy to get lost in and fly though. With so much to focus on, the thing which I thought of most in reflecting was the genre of the book. Looking back at our first discussion, it seems to me that Dune contains almost as many elements of fantasy as it does science. While the technology to change the planet from desert into something more habitable is essential to the book, it seems that the elements of the fantastic are just as essential. One of the major things that stood out to me was Paul's ability to see the future, which is never really explained. While there may have been a scientific explanation for this ability, it isn't addressed. Also, the mystic elements of the Bene Gesserit seem much more like magic than like science. There is absolutely no explanation for things like the voice of power. I still think that there are elements of science fiction, but that Dune really does cross genres and enter at least somewhat into the fantasy realm.

That being said, this book is incredibly applicable to current society, not just in terms of social science, but also in terms of its scientific elements. With climate change being one of the most visible environmental issues today, the thought of trying to reclaim a desert planet seems incredibly viable. I also have to admit a curiosity about how Arakis became a desert planet in the first place. I look forward to seeing what elements stood out to everyone else in relation to social science issues.

No comments: