Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Reflections on Class Discussion 2/12

Fate and destiny are major players in Dune. However, we didn't really cover to what extent the two can be changed, and what the differences between the two are. I still believe that Paul fought the jihad and after the death of someone he thought of the same as his father, he gave up. I know I wouldn't, it would be a waste of time and energy in my mind. If you knew something wasn't going to change would you keep fighting? I'll also stick to the point I have been making for quiet some time, Paul used the Fremen in order to get his revenge. He was aware of the similarities between himself and the prophet the Fremen were waiting for. Paul even knew he wasn't the one who was to make Dune into a paradise for the Fremen. At the same time, he knew in order to live after being chased out that he needed the Fremen. We briefly touched on what Paul could have done. He had the option of dying in the initial attack, died in the desert, or joined the Fremen and just lay low. He could have made himself seem weaker to bid his time, but instead decided to use the Fremen as a tool to get his revenge.

Going to the point about Paul having three sides: the Duke, Usul, and Muad'Dib. I think that's the only way he was able to cope with the jihad that he continued to see. The Duke portrays his duty to his heritage, and the lust for revenge on the Harkonnens. Usul becomes more of his soft-side, that cares for human life. Last but not least, Muad'Dib is the prophet that will kill you where you stand. The three are used and put to the side until needed. I would believe it would only be a matter of time before Paul begins to breakdown, which he kind of did. He looses what made him an Atriedes, the value of human life.

In regards to the Appendices, I will mention something my Mother said while watching Lord of the Rings the first time "If it weren't for that map in the beginning I would have been totally lost." Dune is a complex story, to put it simply, and the Appendices, and dictionary, add more information as well at critiquing characters and organizations in the story.

No comments: