Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dune

At first I was intimidated by the size of Dune, but I later found that it was a relatively quick read. With a book of this size, there is a lot of substance, but I wanted to focus on the Sardaukar, "the dread Imperial troops, the killers without mercy, the soldier-fanatics of the Padishah Emperor" (20). On first mention of the Sardaukar, we're supposed to fear and despise them as many other characters do in Dune. They are ruthless in their killing and come across as inhuman (I think the Bene Gesserit would agree since their definition of humans putting your hand in a painful box to override nerves). In my mind, I pictured them as Reavers from Firefly/Serenty, once human then turned "savage" only meant to kill. But the Sardaukar are constantly compared to the Fremen, especially concerning their environments and discipline. However, the Fremen are cast in a more positive light despite being even more brutal on the battlefield. Is this because of the Sardaukar's alignment with the "evil" Emperor and the Fremen on the side of our/their "hero" Paul? Both display immense loyalty to their leaders. I was particularly struck by the scene at the end with the Emperor, Alia, and the Baron as a Sardaukar officer yelled "Save yourself Sire" (464). During the attack on the hutment, I felt like the roles had been reversed. The Sardaukar came off as civilized and loyal much like Gurney Halleck and Duncan Idaho while in the previous paragraph we see "Alia darting out to find a knife and, as befitted her Fremen training, to kill Harkonnen and Sardaukar" (464). I'm not sure what to make of this right now but I can't wait to find out which of the numerous topics are brought up during class.
Also did anyone else become extremely thirsty while reading Dune or was it just me?

2 comments:

Zakahi said...

Well, I'm from the desert, so no Dune did not make me thirsty--just a little homesick (I could almost smell the creosote).

I think the key in the comparisons between the Fremen and Sadaukar were meant to express an idea about how the harshness of an environment can rub off on people. It's also worth noting that rebellions are often just as violent as the oppressive regimes they are revolting against (think French Revolution).

Another interesting point you bring up is loyalty. There was a discussion on loyalty in the book that I can't seem to find now, but it notes the reason that the Sadaukar are loyal to the Emperor is because the achieve a level of comfort on Salusa Secundus he afforded them. On the other hand Idaho is dedicated to the Atrieds and Paul out of a combination of Love for the family and Hate for the Harkonnes (who had enslaved him). Finally, the Fremen are loyal for a combination of religious reasons and respect for his skill as a fighter.

Also, I think the comparison to Reavers is a little out their given that the Sardaukar don't eat their enemis, and have a pretty strong leadership structure.

Air Viper said...

But at the same time, didn't Paul take advantage of the Fremen religion? He did fit the description, Paul even admitted that he was a "seed" and not the one the Fremen were waiting for. But that's another story.