Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Reflection on Manifest Destiny

I feel like I don't know how to go about this reflection since the format of class was radically different from our other classes. In addition, this was the first piece of social science that we read. It wasn't about time travel to the end of the world or colonizing the Moon. Stephanson presented us with some of the basic U.S. history we learned in high school and then some. In Prof PTJ's reflection, he noted how none of the groups took on the entire claim, instead focusing on specific parts. I'm still not sure whether I think Stephanson's claim was right, but I do believe that it does conform to the way we think. Manifest destiny has become common sense as Kristen mentioned in her reflection. I think it has sunk into the American mindset to the point that we are unaware of it today until an outsider (like Stephanson) brings it to our attention. Also I think the average American won't challenge history, since America has typically been on the side of writing history.

As to why the class didn't disprove Stephanson's claim, I blame the Macbooks. By the end of class I was certain that a Mac was never meant for me. How do you play Minesweeper without a right-click?

No comments: