Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Reflective 4/1

I'll play devil's advocate again. How cares if Schmitt became a Nazi. Hell, my landlords in Germany were Nazis because they were young kids and all kids had to be in the Hitler Jungen. Time's change, and oh by the way, the Germans were looking for someone to blame about WWI and Hitler gave them that.

Ok, now that my rant is over I can continue. I really don't know what to write this time because I'm beginning to feel this class is rehashing the same topics class after class. That's the main reason I don't say alot in class, I know I've said what I've said a few times and the point of a discussion is for new ideas to come out. I'd rather be quiet and not talk instead of rehashing the same points everyday, it kind of makes the class a bit boring.

Schmitt still makes a pretty powerful point that everything can be seen as part of the political. The EU and Microsoft is a good example. The EU is consistently pursuing the suits against Microsoft in order to make an example out of Microsoft. The EU doesn't care that if Microsoft releases its source code to the public then hackers can get into your computer no problem. That's the main reason Linux isn't a popular Operating System, because its an open source OS (in other words you can google the source code and see the actual code that makes up the OS).

3 comments:

Chris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris said...

(Longer version of what I posted the first time:)

We veered away from this before I could get to it, but I think the DoJ/Microsoft conflict was even more expressly "political" in the Schmitt sense. Thomas Penfield Jackson (related to PTJ only in sentiments, one assumes) wanted to essentially destroy the company that was Microsoft. Hooray, we've got ourselves existential battle.

I don't think that anyone was actually holding it against Schmitt specifically because he became a Nazi. We didn't really touch upon this much until the end, though, but if we are to have a problem with Schmitt being a Nazi is that he advocates for the kind of central command that was embodied in Hitler. You're right: it's not enough that he was a party member, but the fact that he espoused some of the sentiments that are demonstrated in Nazi politics is probably a good reason to be a little annoyed at him. Same reason we all look at Nietzsche a little weird, I suppose.

ProfPTJ said...

Except that Nietzsche was actually a critic of German nationalism, would have despised the Nazis for their pretension, admired the Jews even as he blamed Jewish and Christian moral codes for the enfeeblement of European humanity -- he's a complicated thinker, and his similarities to Nazism are at the very least overstated. Schmitt, on the other hand, was a Nazi, not just in his party affiliation, but in his embrace of the Füherprinzip (there has to be one and only one leader for a society, and that leader's decisions about friends and enemies can't be second-guessed or questioned). Less ambiguity there -- although that still doesn't constitute a sufficient reason for completely dismissing his arguments, IMHO.