Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Political?

In contrast to what Sara suggested right below me I happen to like the fun philosophical way of defining terms endlessly. I did find myself a little bored by the section that defined everything political had previously falsely been identified with. The overarching concept of what it is to be political is something I had never thought of in such explicit terms before and something that made perfect since once I read it. The idea of political being the realm of defining friend and foe is an absolutely perfect description. I just wish my political science education was more directly focused on this specific issue. Seems to me political science should be more focused on defining political and means of understanding friend and foe as opposed to all the boring (ok, so I like it) voting behavior stuff we do study.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I can see how the philosophical way of defining terms endlessly might be fun.And I did like the friend/enemy concept because Ender's Game and recent history illustrated the antithesis fairly well. And as much fun as debating the definition the political or science fiction can be, I usually prefer things like voting behavior because it has widely accepted definition. And it wasn't Sarah, it was me, Liz.