Tuesday, March 4, 2008

V for Vendetta

So, some fairly disjointed thoughts on V for Vendetta: while I enjoyed the story line and some of the commentary in V for Vendetta, I found some of the plot nuances difficult to follow because of the format. This may be entirely due to the fact that I had never read a graphic novel before, but many of the characters, especially the minor ones, looked similar enough that I had a difficult time distinguishing them. That said, I really enjoyed reading this, the movie didn't even come close.

I thought one of the more interesting devices in this book was the use of all of the varied cultural references and the use of music. V quoting Shakespeare (11-12) and the Rolling Stones (54) with equal conviction and I am Legend sitting on V's bookshelf next to Dante (18) made an interesting point about the importance of any culture, not just "high" culture. Also the set up of Book 2 with a song was an interesting way to give an overview. I also really appreciated the Les Miserables reference on 255, especially after seeing the way Finch's obsession with V played out. There are definite parallels to Lean Valjean and Javert, but I didn't think of them until seeing the graphic.

I found pieces of the premise somewhat hard to believe, but that may have been because of the time the novel was written at. While I can accept the idea of Britain becoming a dictatorship, the idea of it being religiously based is pretty hard to believe. Beyond that this book was decidedly a product of the Cold War, which doesn't diminish the value of its commentary, but should be taken into account, and does take away slightly from its verisimilitude.

On the other hand, the idea of a big brother society is still alive and well long after the Cold War. There are already cameras in almost every city in Britain (which look identical to the ones on page 9) which constantly monitor looking for criminal activity. Some even have live operators which inform people when they have been spotted littering or engaging in "anti-social behavior" (check out the BBC's article). I found the concept a bit creepy while I was living there, but almost everyone took them for granted, and seemed completely oblivious to being monitored. While it's probably not a slippery slope, the possibility seems to exist, and keeps this novel very relavant.

3 comments:

Rinske said...

I'm glad someone else notices the Les Mis reference too! although until you mentioned the Valjean and Javert parallel, I hadn't thought of it. Although V's 'suicide' seems to line him up more with Javert, as the man who fervently believes what he is doing is right, instead of Valjean, who was the man just trying to lead out his life. Although I think Moore would definitely pin it the other way lining up the cop and hunted as more significant.
However the further importance of the symbol indicates the spirit of a true revolution, which may have been what the hoped for response would be. However, the revolution in Les Mis failed, producing only "empty chairs and empty tables". As this is well known, it might be a hint towards what actually has the larger potential to happen in the future: there will have to be more revolutions and more failed, before anything truly changes.
To me Les Mis, and Cosette, have more meaning then just the spirit of a revolution. Perchance the spirit is there,but what is to say that they still haven't exchanged one leader for another to soon rise up?

Rinske said...

I just thought of an addition to the Les Mis parallel (although you may now say I'm starting to carry it too far). The next panel shows Helen, who is always comparing herself to Evita, basically the Argentine Princess, but she, by the end, has become more like a bad version of Eponine, who as a child was spoiled, but when her father falls on hard times, she is forced to beg off the streets. Therefore this change in musical role for Helen seems also to mirror they imagery placed around her.

Sarah said...

I have to admit that my knowledge of Les Mis is fairly superficial, but it's interesting you can take it that far. I wonder how many of the other subtle references to other works in V could make for interesting/insightful analogies.

Another I noticed was when he first enters the room with the bishop, he says "Please allow me to introduce myself/ I'm a man of wealth and taste," which are the opening lyrics for "Sympathy for the Devil" by the Rolling Stones. It's a bit more blatant of a reference. In the song, the devil says, "Pleased to meet you/ Hope you guessed my name/ But what's puzzling you/ Is the nature of my game. This could work one of two ways, either V is the devil, and is taunting the Bishop and everyone who's chasing him down, or V is referring to the Bishop as the devil. Granted, the Rolling Stones probably don't allow for as much depth of analysis as a work like Les Mis, but I really wonder what all I missed.