Monday, March 3, 2008

Substinative-V

I really don't know where to start with V. I did not like the graphic novel format, the story was good, as was the dialog, but I could not seem to get into it because of the layout. I do think it could make a good movie though (I have to agree that the V movie already made did not live up to standard). I realize that having a main character is necessary, but I am still disappointed that all of these revolutionary tales seem to pass on this messianic belief in the importance of one extraordinary individual. This is not how real revolutions happen! It takes a movement led not bay a single individual, but by the sand of time and the structure of the current situation conspiring against the oppressive regime.

I also want to offer a comment on what I suspect Andrew will say. I don't beleive this is a story about the glory and greatness of Anarchy. In fact, I don't believe anarchy has much to do with the story at all. Instead, this is about the power of a vengeful person--the lesson to be learned is not that we need to allow anarchy so everyone can be free, but to be careful who we cross, and to choose not to oppress or abuse people if for not other reason than that they will probably get you back.

I also enjoy the various classifications of what is being done (terrorism, revenge, revolution, etc.).

Finally, I like the Sci Fi element in the supercomputer. I think it reveals the vulnerability of anyone who choose to rely on any one person or thing. It was an extraordinarily cynical message not that different from the individualistic statements Heinlein likes to make except, whereas in most Heinlein novels everyone is not really alone (I can think of one, maybe two exceptions), in V everyone is forced completely to rely on no one but themselves, and those who do seek comfort in relying on another (What's his names wife, Leader/the regime on Fate, Eve on Gordon, etc) only wind up regretting it.

2 comments:

Scott Hansen said...

But isn't it possible that one person, with access to a ton of explosives and control over the surveillance system that the state has come to rely on, could blow up enough buildings to have his way?

Sarah said...

I'm also not entirely convinced that this was really a revolution. V definitely caused chaos, and allowed people temporary freedom from observation, but I didn't read him as a one man revolution. The ending left me thinking that a revolution might be possible with the chaos V left, but that it was equally likely that a similar regime would simply be rebuilt with different people.