Monday, February 18, 2008

Weber Substantive

First off, I will say it was a bit ironic that I started reading it after doing my German homework. Seeing how there are little tidbits about the definition of politik, Beruf, and rufen. But that just might be me enjoying what little use I get out of my German language skills. My German professor had a good laugh when I showed her those translation notes.

I didn't find much that I thought was shocking/new. I felt Weber rehashed topics and ideas that are already out there. I took Modernist Explosion last Spring, in which one of the readings was by Weber's wife Marianne, and I was exposed to the thoughts/movements in Germany from 1900-1935. That is most likely the reason I was left unimpressed, and felt that I had heard this before. Granted, I can understand Weber's background, he died right after the Weimar Republic was founded and missed all the lovely movements and chaos that ensued.

No comments: