Thursday, February 21, 2008

Trapped in the Elevator

No joke, I was actually stuck in an elevator tonight while I was the RA on duty. I then thought, that maybe Paul from Dune was in a similar situation. In a sense he was trapped in the destiny of the jihad. Granted, Public Safety came to my rescue 45 minutes later, but no one was there to open the doors for Paul to be set free. Lady Jessica is like the bump in the elevator that you instinctively know is not right. I think it would have been more interesting for Dune to have the jihad not occur, if I never got out of the elevator the 7th floor of Hughes would never had the wonderful show of 2 RDs, 2 RAs, and 2 Public Safety Officers come to the rescue of the RA on duty. But then again, the elevator is like the jihad in that no matter what I tried to do from the inside I couldn't get the doors to open. Apparently the backup power generator was broken along with the emergency release handle to open the doors from the inside. I also forgot to mention that there wasn't an escape door, which I think it's illegal but whatever. I guess the point that I'm trying to get here is that Paul doesn't necessarily have the full responsibility for the jihad occurring. It wasn't my fault that the elevator stopped working, or is it? The only way to get out/avoid the jihad is to get outside help, which Paul didn't have. The outside help he thought would help just ended up making the jihad occur against his wishes.

4 comments:

Zakahi said...

I don't think paul would have walked into an elavator that had trapped someone every other night for the past week.

Air Viper said...

A) I don't use the elevators
B) It was "fixed"
C) It was waiting at the first floor and the other elevator won't open its doors until the other one goes up
D) I'm blonde

Scott Hansen said...

I know what you mean. I accidentally took a 3-hour nap when I only meant to rest for 5 minutes yesterday, and that's very similar to the way the Atreides were banished to Arrakis for much longer than they expected.

Oh, do you want to hear how that corresponds to the 2008 election?

Mel said...

You and Paul also both have a lot of titles. Also, you both can see into the future. Oh, wait... scratch that last one. Maybe you weren't Paul, anyway. Maybe you were the fremen, the elevator was your oppressor, and whoever freed you from the elevator was Paul. Then the people standing around waiting could be all the people that helped Paul in his rise to power. And whoever you busted later that night could be the people over whom you wield the power of your newfound freedom. I'm trying to figure out if that leaves anything for Jacob to be, other than a sandworm...