Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to our Social/Science/Fiction blog. Hopefully everyone finds blogger relatively easy to use; I know I do. I am going to go ahead and require the use of a blogger account in order to make comments, just to make it easier to respond directly to someone who makes a comment.

I suppose I will make this my first post:

I enjoyed yesterday's class, the syllabus looks good, and our discussion of "What is Science Fiction" was entertaining. I must admit that I have a slightly more inclusive view of science fiction than what both the class, and Prof. Jackson came up with. I don't quite agree with the idea that only works both using space, aliens, etc., and which have characteristics of good literature should be included in our definition. I don't have to read bad sci-fi (and I try not to), but I won't deny it's still sci-fi--every genre had its share of junk there is no reason to assume our preferred genre is somehow better.

2 comments:

Air Viper said...

I wasn't sure what to expect. All I've ever done is watch Star Trek and other sci fi films and shows in the past, I decided to take the class to broaden my horizons on the genre. I also want to explore the question Prof Jackson gave us, is sci fi really that far out?

ProfPTJ said...

I'd agree that we shouldn't build "good" into the definition of the genre -- indeed, of any genre. Obviously there are some pretty prominent examples of bad and cheesy sci-fi out there, even some things that I really quite enjoy (like Tron, for example). My criterion of "good literature" was mostly about what I selected to assign for the class.

But for the genre itself, I do think that it's important to limit the reach of "science fiction" in some way. I'm not wedded to aliens or to space as distinguishing characteristics, but I will stand by otherness and technological change as two of the central aspects of sci-fi. More on that in my blog.